From back into a front

After I posted this photo on flickr,
so far


Monica of Happy Zombie wrote:  "I would call that a front of a quilt - too beautiful to hide in the back!"  

Suddenly the gears in my head started turning and I realized that the quilting pattern I was designing for the front of the quilt would totally ruin the back of the quilt. 

And here I was, trying to be diligent in finishing projects on my list and I had an accidental extra quilt in my WIP's.  As I added some more strips to the quilt, I pondered.  I designed that "backing" for Henry.  The red, yellow and orange make up a "fish" in the center.  The blues are water (of course) mixed with bubbles (possibly Henry's second love after water).  If I turned it into a twin sized quilt, the scale of the center block would be too small.  So I held it up on the wall in his room and it is just right as a modern splash of color on his wall. 

quilting

So, there you have it.  Another day or two of concentrated quilting with the walking foot and it'll be ready for a binding. 

Though, you'll note that I said "concentrated" quilting.  I'm now distracted by hexies again....

7 comments:

Dan R said...

Oh! I guess it is a walking foot (pls ignore flickr comment). Looks wonderful. The oranges and blues are a great combination.

Dan R said...

It just occurred to me that the loopy-squares quilting I finished last week started off as a back and graduated to a front. Kooky!

verykerryberry said...

I love that quilting line style, it works perfectly with the newly promoted quilt front

melissa said...

well i agree with flickr - too too pretty to be a quilt back.
you made the right call - and i love the quilting pattern you're using.

hexies are fun too... can we get a peek at them as well?!?! :)

beth said...

Oooh! I love this!

lily said...

I adore the quilting - what a wonderful way to quilt in straight lines without having to stop and start all the time! And the log cabin design and colours are beautiful. Really inspired.

cmvs said...

oh i love it! perfect color, perfect size and i love that style of quilting. i'm so glad that it won't get hidden on the back but instead get a showcase on the wall! perfect!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)