Hexie Quilt Process

If you never ever ever want to make a hexie quilt with uneven edges, please pardon this photo heavy post.  I took pictures of each step for those that might be curious.  I used the tutorial by Amy badskirt.  I am so grateful that Amy blogged about the steps she took and that one of my dear quilting friends (I can't remember which one. Please let me know if it was you.) pointed me to the tutorial.  I love the shape of this quilt exactly as is and I really, really didn't want to make it into a rectangle.

So, instead, I tortured myself with sewing more hexies.

Here is the top, sandwiched, quilted and the batting trimmed.

hexie quilt edging


Then I made another 76 hexies for the border on the back.

hexie quilt edging


I whipstiched them together to mirror the edge of my quilt...

hexie quilt edging


...and then whipstitched the edge hexies to the quilt top hexies all around the border.

hexie quilt edging


The next step is important: I heavily starched and ironed all of the border hexies.  And then I took out the threads and papers and flipped the border over to the back. 

hexie quilt edging


I carefully poked out all of corners and ironed it again and then pinned the edge hexies to the back of the quilt.

hexie quilt edging


And, lastly I stitched the other edge of the hexies down. 

hexie quilt edging


Here is a sneak peek at the front of the quilt with the uneven edge.  The quilt is drying now (after I washed all of that starch out).  I'll put a finished photo up soon.

hexie quilt edging

22 comments:

Donna said...

Wow that's a lot of work, but I bet it looks great. You're always going to love that you took that extra time for the Henie border on the back!!!

jeanne e. said...

oh boy! i can't wait to see the finished piece. so pretty already...loving it.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That is awesome! I did wonder how that would be done. It looks beautiful :)

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It looks wonderful and I can't wait to see the grand reveal!

Amy Friend said...

That's a really neat way to finish the edges. I'm looking forward to the big reveal!

Claudia said...

Goodness, that's a lot of work but I can't wait to see the entire quilt. I'm sure it's spectacular. You've inspired me to pull out my hexies and work on them but I think mine are destined for a pillow.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

I can't wait to see it! All the extra time and care will be well worth it! Thanks for showing how you did it.

Jilly said...

cool - what a great idea! I don't have the patience for EPP, but I can't wait to see your quilt - looks beautiful.

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Dang. Talk about a labor of love!!! It's beautiful.

Gina said...

Beautiful! I love that finish!!

felicity said...

It looks great, Melinda! Well worth that extra time and effort to achieve the look you want. Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Angela Nash said...

So cool! In the end, this quilt will be 100% handwork? I can't wait to see the whole thing - it may motivate me to pick up my big stack of hexagon blocks.

Heidi Staples said...

Melinda, this is gorgeous!! I'm so excited to see the finished product!

Lisa C said...

Genius! I don't have the patience but I have the appreciation! Good job.

melissa said...

oh melinda... this is going to be so amazingly fabulous!
i love that you have put so much thought and love and time into this project! it is going to be absolutely perfect!!

Unknown said...

I love this way of finishing hexie quilts. I just cut all my boarders too. But I have look forward to the boarders but it is a long way off.

Nicole_boldgoods said...

This is amazing. Great job!

Kritta22 said...

you are just fabulous!

artsycraftsyivy said...

Thank you! Great photos! :)

Unknown said...

Great post, great photos! I am finishing my first small hexie quilt, and I've been wondering how to finish the edges. I think I like your version best. Thanks so much for sharing and documenting what you did!

Radish said...

Hello! I don't know if you are still reading comments, but I wanted to let you know that I came across your instructions on Pinterest and used them on a miniature (1/2") hexagon quilt. I have written about it on my blog here:

http://heideradieschen.blogspot.de/2017/06/mini-hexagons-10-finished.html

Thank you for sharing this with the Internet; great photos and very easy to understand.

Marijke said...

Thanks for sharing this idea.

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)